engineering
Excellent ROI
Home > News & Publications > News > Recent News

POWER Interregional Programme Have Your Say!

23 October 2008
Power interregional programme

SEEDA is leading an EU-funded programme which will provide € 5.8m (£4.5m) in funding to promote Low Carbon Economies in seven regions across Europe, including the South East. From 20 October until 7 November 2008 stakeholders in the region have the opportunity to submit ideas regarding the specifications of the project, and so will be able to influence who is eligible to receive the funding. All interested parties can find out more from http://www.powerprogramme.eu

The POWER Interregional Programme will receive 75% of its funding from the INTERREG IVC – an EU programme aimed at improving the effectiveness of regional development policies and to increase the competitiveness of the continent as a whole – with the remaining 25% to be provided by the regional agencies themselves. SEEDA will take on an operational management role, liaising with selected representatives of each region to ensure the money goes to projects that can make a genuine contribution to the region’s low carbon economy.

 The five 'themes' of the POWER initiative are:

  • Theme 1 – Energy Efficiency
    Exploring ways of reducing the overall energy consumption of the partner regions through policy, regulation, promotion and incentives.
  • Theme 2 – Renewable Energy
    Exploring ways of increasing the share of energy generated by renewables, including solar energy, wind energy, biomass for electricity and heating, sustainable bio fuels, district heating and Combined Heat and Power (CHP) plants.
  • Theme 3 – Sustainable Transport:
    Removing the link between GVA growth and car use in the partner regions by improving the provision of sustainable modes of transport and access to it and at the same time increasing smart ways of moving around supported by ICT.
  • Theme 4 – Eco-innovation and Environmental Technologies:
    Promoting the development and adoption of innovative low ecological footprint technologies in the partner regions.
  • Theme 5 – Behaviour Change:
    Promote behavioural change to underpin efforts to improve energy efficiency and the use of sustainable transport.

 After the exact specifications have been finalised, two calls will be organised to select up to 12 international projects inviting the local/regional stakeholders to participate in the regional initiative. The first of these opportunities for businesses in the South East to submit applications for funding will run in March 2009.

Any follow ups should be directed to pressoffice@seeda.co.uk or by phone at

+44 (0)1483 470 155.

SEEDA is not responsible for the content of external websites.

For more information please contact our press office

Tel: 01483 470155